Thursday, September 17, 2009

school---a grand success!

I'm freezing, I'm soaking wet, I'm exhausted and I couldn't be more content :) I just got back from my first day of school at IES Carlos Buosono. I'm enrolled in the Segundo Bachillerato program, which is the equivalent to "senior year" here in Spain. At the end of Segundo, the students take a giant test called "La Selectividad" which, as I've mentioned in past posts, is like the ACT and SAT combined and times 500. It more or less determines your future. If you do not score well on La Selectividad, you do not make a good impression on schools and you may end up having to pay more money and attend a Private University for a lesser education than you would recieve at a Public University. Though this may appear to be incredibly intense to an American, it is commonly accepted and embraced here in Spain. They may take siestas and live a laid back home life-- but at school and in workplaces these are some of the hardest working people I have ever had the privilege to meet.
I have been told (and I'd have to agree) that Segundo Bachillerato is about the same as an American's sophomore year of college. All I can say is that I'm relieved that my grades don't really "count" for anything; though being the overachiever and curious cat that I am, I'm sure I'll throw myself headfirst into the studying anyways. Here are the classes I am enrolled in: The History of Spain, French, English, Biology, History of Philosophy, Psychology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Technical Drawing (whatever that means :). Days are divided into 6 hours, with a 25 minute recess between the third and fourth class. You stay with one class the entire day, and you stay within 3 rooms, just shifting between them. The coursework is rigorous, the homework requires studying and paying attention in class. My high school is science-based (another distinguishing feature of Spain: by the time you get to Primero and Segundo Bachillerato it is expected that you have a general idea what you want to go into; since I'm planning on studying in the Sciences department when I get back to the U.S. it was logical to do the same here in Spain).
The kids I met today were fantastic. They were welcoming and, though a little shy, curious about who I was and very understanding about my slow Spanish. There is a boy named Adrian who speaks English in my class and who offered to help me whenever I got confused, which is a relief, and an offer I think he might regret making when I go running to him every hour or so :) There is also a girl that is new to the school who I got along with right away and that I can see becoming a close friend, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, eh?
It's getting cold here in Spain. It's about 50 degrees Farenheit (which is 11 degrees Celsius) and rainy and just rather unpleasant outside. I walk to school, it takes about 10 minutes with several hills so I can stay warm that way, but I constantly have a few sweatshirts on and my slippers and scarf at home, which makes the hortencia giggle whenever I walk by her. Despite the poor weather, I feel really lucky to have been placed in a class with such nice people, and I got lucky to meet a boy in my class who speaks English, though I'm hoping to not rely on him too much. Hopefully the poor weather lets up because the fiestas cannot really take place if it's raining and miserable. Tomorrow is my first full day of school- 8:30 am to 2:05 pm. I'm looking forward to it :)

Besos, Sam

1 comment:

  1. Glad school went well Scrap ... xo mom ps buy a coat soon

    ReplyDelete