Sunday, January 3, 2010

Nochevieja y Feliz Año Nuevo


It was a night to be remembered. Ringing in the New Year in Madrid, Spain can't really be compared to any other experience I've had in my life. And it all started off with a bunch of grapes.


We retured back from Albacete to a relaxed couple of days before New Years Eve, which is called Nochevieja, literally meaning "the old night". We went to my Grandpa's house in Madrid (which is really a giant, 2 story apartment that he shares with his daughter Maria Cruz, her husband, and their two grown children). We ate a giant meal, nothing less in Spain, and then gathered around the television for the traditional Spanish custom of ringing in the new year. As each bell tolls to 12, you eat a grape, which are in prearranged packs, ours wrapped in tinfoil. I've seen advertisements for weeks on tv, however, for cans of 12 grapes, specifically for the occasion. Apparently, this task is supposed to be really difficult, you make a wish with each grape that you put in your mouth. I think they underestimated how large my mouth is, as I seemed to have no trouble at all-- I'm sure my mother would agree. Everyone then stands up and kisses everyone and wishes them a happy new year and we all gather for a toast. The family quickly dispersed, everyone gone by 1 am, but for Bea and I, the night had just begun.




We then proceeded to a hotel, where the entire bottom floor was set up as a discoteca, or a dance club. We met up with dozens of our friends, forming a giant group as we all madly danced the night away... literally. As is common in Madrid, we boarded the metro at 7 am and were back in Majadahonda by 8:30 am. Typically, you go out for churros and chocolate in the morning, and though we saw many people dining, Bea and I were both completely exhausted. We woke up at 5 pm the next day, our mom surprised that we even made it up that early. I don't go out to the discotecas all the time here, it's incredibly expensive and I'm a pretty low key person. But these nights of utter bliss make it all completely worth the price and the wait.

Shoes for the night-- eventually and inevitably replaced by ballerina slippers

My friend Mai and I

Lights and Lights in Madrid

I'm not positive what this building is for-- other than to be absolutley beautiful

3 comments:

  1. Sam-

    I love your blog! I live in Hudson, WI (same Rotary district as you) and got my acceptance two weeks ago to...drumroll please...Spain! Anyway, just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading about Spain from your perspective, and imagining what next year might be like for me.

    Happy New Year,

    Paige Pribonic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have been surprised if you'd fit 12 large strawberries into your mouth, or perhaps fluffy kittens, or young children =D that's me laughing at you
    Love to you my scrapula, hope 2010 is better than all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paige!

    That's crazy exciting to hear you're reading the blog and keeping up with everything.... I'd LOVE to talk to you in person (and by that I mean facebook or skype) haha So feel free to find me anytime!!!! Samantha Roma Weaver is the facebook name... I'm pretty sure there's only one of me... If nothing else best of luck to you next year and I'll be looking for your blog!

    Un Beso, Sam

    ReplyDelete