Monday, December 7, 2009

it's beginning...

... not really to look like Christmas, per se... at least not the midwest christmas that I'm accustomed to. But that's certainly not a bad thing, it's just different. The lights are all strung up in Madrid, it's absolutely gorgeous, similar to NYC right around Christmastime. Yesterday and today (the 7th and 8th of December) we don't have school because today is a national holiday of some sort, don't ask me which, I swear they invent saints just to stick their name on the calender and call it an occassion. It seems a little silly to go to school on Monday if Tuesday is off so we didn't have classes yesterday either. Having said that, I had a successful trip to the post office this morning to pick up a package from the fam and buy $10 worth of stamps (they're 78 euro cents here for international postage... I wonder what the word for "outrageous" is in Spanish) and dropped some postcards in the mail. It's the small trips, like the one to the post office, that really highlight how much of a different country you're in. The most unimportant details can be the biggest challenges with language barriers and cultural misunderstandings. I think the post office runs, the trips to pick up public transportation at the local tobacco shop (called Bonobus here in Madrid... 12 euros gets me 10 rides anywhere in the Madrid area... quite the steal), and the meanderings down back streets, stopping to ask for directions are what an exchange student gets that the normal tourist doesn't... An honest sense of community and a definite confirmation of personal growth.




The first trimester of school is officially over, having been given our report cards (which still need to be signed by a parent/guardian and sent back to the school, even at the highest level of education). Spain is not as technologically advanced as the U.S. by any means. The big, fancy projecter that we have in one room of our school, the library, I had in every room back in Northfield. Grades are not offered electronically and, though the school has a website, it is not maintained or kept up to date. I like this in one sense, it's a more simplistic way of doing things, staying true to Spain's relaxed and easygoing environment. However, there seems to be little effort at technological development or progression, and that can be frustrating when papers get lost, messages get miscommunicated, and the exchange student has to try to scramble and pick up the pieces. For example, we have a computer in our house but no printer. So anytime it would be convenient (or necessary) to print off directions, an entrance to a concert, a document from college, etc, it has to go through my mom or my sister at work or university... I do miss that convenience about the United States. I'm learning the difference between missing things and mourning over things, for lack of a better word. You can miss something and have it in your mind without obsessing over it and having those sinking, depressing feelings. Missing doesn't have to be a bad thing.




On Wednesdays here in Madrid (and maybe in all of Spain?) everything at a local restaurant called 100 Montaditos is 1 euro. 100 Montaditos is famous for it's bocadillos, little sandwiches made on amazing bread, usually toasted, and with whatever your heart desires in the center. I typically order an array of chicken, cheese, tomato, and Spanish chorizo (similar to salami) sandwiches. They come with potato chips and all drinks are also 1 euro, so I always accompany my order with a Kas Limon, similar to Fanta Limon. It's sort of silly NOT to take advantage of Wednesdays at 100 montaditos so I always find someone to go with, be it friends from my class, other exchange kids, my host sister, or anyone else that I can drag along. This past Wednesday I went into Madrid to celebrate with one of my good friends here, Emma, for her 18th birthday, which was this past Friday. She brought two of her good friends from school, Paula and Luis, and my other American friend Devon came and brought her friend Marta from school. We talked in an exhilarating mixture of Spanish and English, Spanglish at it's very best. We all got along right away, we all had a lot of things in common... Funny how that can happen when you're born oceans apart. Who knew?

Other than that, Christmas is fast approaching and I'm doing some hunting for the host family and family back home. The best place for all gifts is at El Rastro, the street market that takes place every Sunday in Madrid, because you can find good quality, one of a kind goodies for little to nothing.... and in a pricey european culture, that's much appreciated. My friend Grayce who was living here (across the street... crazy coincidence, remember her?) is going home this Wednesday. It's yet another reminder of how flexible and concrete time is. It bends into how we want it to be percieved, but sneakily keeps marching along all the while. I went to Luna Nueva (New Moon) with my host sister Bea because she really wanted to see it and I'll take any chance either one of us can get to hang out together. Expectedly, I really didn't enjoy the movie at all, but it was nice getting some time to talk to her again. We genuinely do get along fantastically, if we can squeeze in the seconds to hang out. We also went shopping with my host mom on Saturday after being at my grandpa's for a few hours and on Friday I was out all night with some exchange student friends celebrating some birthdays. My friend Adrian at school told me I must sing "happy birthday" better than anyone because I'm always attending birthday parties. What can I say? :)

Life is Gorgeous, Una Vida Preciosa

Besos, Sami

1 comment:

  1. You'll be a birthday pro come January, just in time for your 19th!!!! Crazy, we seem sound so old = ) Haha, I really wish I could just hop on a plane, cross all of Asia and Europe, just to visit for a bit. I'm realizing that you're right, it's possible to miss something without mourning it, but it's still sometimes hard for me to move on.
    I'm glad you love everyone in Spain, seriously, are there people you haven't gotten along with (besides crazy English teacher, but she doesn't count because she clearly wants to be English...duh!) Haha, I'm ready for skype whenever you be = )
    Later Lover
    Sammmmm

    ReplyDelete