Monday, December 21, 2009

llega la nieve








The picture on the left was taken September 15, 2009
The picture on the right was taken December 21, 2009
Merry Christmas, Madrid :)
I awoke this morning with a complete and utter lack of motivation to get my butt out of bed and go to school. I made myself get up, saying, "Self, you have one real day of school left before a nice, long break. Suck it up."
Who would've guessed it?
Madrid and the surrounding cities (including Majadahonda) recieved about 6 cm of snow today. I'm accustomed to snow, obviously, coming from the barren Midwestern plains covered in feet and feet of the fluffy, white delight. So I slipped on the best shoes I had and braved the 15 minute trek to school. Spain is, to say the least, NOT equipped for snow. Either they don't know to put salt down on the roads and sidewalks, or they're just not equipped to do so before all the hubub of the morning begins. Majadahonda is famous for it's hills, and cars were literally break-sliding all the way down them. I walked calmly along the ice and snow, listening to Elvis Christmas Carols and glad that I had forced myself out of bed. Upon arrival, the entire school was outside, engaged in a giant snow battle. There wasn't one car in the parking lot, no teachers had even bothered. The doors were locked and kids were dodging in and out of one another avoiding giant snowballs (it was the fat flakes that are perfect for packing). I spent half an hour at school, once getting hit in the face and ducking behind various, larger friends to avoid complete destruction. At one point, my American friend Jesse threw a snowball at me, and being clever, I lifted up one foot to try to peg it in midair. Another brilliant plan, Another epic failure. I went bum up in the snow, both boots in the air, landing on my backpack (which fortunately cushioned the fall a bit) and was helped up seconds later by my friend Adrian-- me, him, and the rest of the school that had seen the fall were laughing hysterically. My friend Jesse told me that regardless of what else happened that snowday, I had just made it all worth it for him. At least it served for something :) I have to tell you... Some things have no hope of ever changing :) I've spent the rest of the day contently tucked in with Bea watching TV and eating an ungodly amount. You know, like you do.
Merry Christmas, Madrid
XO Sami

1 comment:

  1. I love winter! Haha, okay I guess I really just like visuals of you falling on your bum!
    But I just had Christmas with my family via skype today and it fantastico! I'm glad you are having a cozy start to the holidays
    Xo Sam E (same as Sami, get it?!?)

    ReplyDelete